I specialise in advising on academic research and creative practice grant, fellowship and scholarship applications; and can assist with all aspects of developing an application for submission.
With over 25 years combined experience in the higher education and creative industries sectors, I consider myself to be highly adept at negotiating funding policies and guidelines, and preparing grant applications for submission.
I have achieved the rare trifecta of competitive funding in the arts and humanities in being awarded grants from the Australian Research Council, Australia Council for the Arts, and Arts WA. So far, I have obtained 8 national, state and institutional grants as well as a three-year postdoctoral fellowship for projects spanning academic research (5), teaching and learning (2) and creative practice (2), worth over AUD$550,000 in total. I was also part of international research teams that successfully applied for funding from the Smithsonian Institution and Getty Foundation in the United States.
Importantly, I also happen to possess insider knowledge of what makes a compelling grant application from the perspective of an assessor. I have been an Expert Assessor for the Australian Research Council since 2010 and reviewed over two dozen Discovery and Linkage Project as well as DECRA, Laureate and Future Fellowship applications. In addition, I have served as a Peer Assessor for the Western Australian Department of Culture and the Arts (now part of the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries) since 2013, where I have helped to assess, by my estimation, over 300 Arts Development and Artsflight grant applications spanning visual art, new media, creative writing, dance, music, theatre and hybrid/interdisciplinary arts.
Recent examples of my services:
- Since 2015, I have consulted on two successful Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery grant applications in the fields of Cultural Studies and Aboriginal History respectively.
- I provided close guidance on the development and drafting of the proposal as well as the subsequent rejoinder for “Art in Conflict: Transforming Contemporary Art at the Australian War Memorial,” a project that was awarded ARC Linkage funding in 2017.
- In 2017, I was hired to advise on an ARC Australian Laureate Fellowship application.
- In 2018, I consulted on two ARC Linkage grant applications, one in partnership with a peak national sporting body to improve the fit, comfort and performance of their competition uniforms, and another in partnership with state and non-profit organisations on an Aboriginal digital storytelling project.
- In 2019, I am currently contracted to help develop a Healthway grant application for a project on the use of virtual reality technologies for Indigenous truth-telling and healing
The rates for my grants advisory services are negotiable, so please contact me to discuss your specific requirements via email at email@example.com.